“Christmas is a coming, the goose is getting fat”, as the song goes. If you don’t want to join the goose, now is a good time to get your mind prepared for the temptations coming your way.
It all starts in the store. Where ever you go now, the christmas festivities will be thrust upon you. You are in ‘shop for christmas’ mode. Festive music, multi packs and special offers in every store. The special treats, the “what if people drop by” purchases, the ‘they are closed over christmas “stockpile purchases. Time to start planning the fun christmas you want but without the weight gain.
As I write this, it is 26 November and I just heard “so here it is merry christmas” by Slade in my local superstore! Over the coming month you will be brainwashed into eating and behaving in a way that is not your normal pattern, if you are on a weight loss and healthy lifestyle journey that is. Now is good time to plan your festive activities. Before, during and after.
Now is the only reality you have. Now is not christmas, so why shop like it is. How do you know what you will fancy? How do you know exactly what you will be doing or feeling? The stores are only closed for a day. Do you normally shop a month in advance? Getting in more than you need will result in you eating more than need. Having said that, it’s christmas so treat yourself to things you wouldn’t normally try. What will amaze your taste buds? What will satisfy your desire for a treat? Plan that way by getting in the ingredients you will need to make it yourself. At least you will know what’s in it! Start doing a little research into healthier options. Start now to create patterns and behaviours in your mind. Now is real.
Head off the additional wine or chocolates and the like, by making it clear you do not want eatable christmas gifts. Take control and only buy what you will nibble on out of choice. Now is real, and, if you are inside the clubhouse with us, now you are making small changes to your life that make a big difference. Christmas provides a habit and behavioural change too. Decide now how much you want to deviate. You are the controller after all. Decide now that is ok to be the one that chooses healthy options and decide now that you can say NO! No to the almost obligatory “go on, it’s christmas, have one” or “have another its christmas”. Decide now that you can say no. It may be christmas but it just another day to your body! Decide now.
I just said it’s just another day and that’s exactly what it is – A day. One or two days won’t derail you. A whole week is another storey.
- Choose the 80/20 rule on the day. Allow 20% of your choices to be the ‘Oh so what, it’s christmas!”
- Stay hydrated, drink plenty of water all day, especially before food and during meals
- Watch the portions and fill your plate with protein and veg.
- Eat mindfully, it’s christmas, it tastes good, enjoy it. Slow it down.
- Stay active. Little 5 minute bursts of energy or a long walk.
- A mince pie is 190 calories
- 6 little assorted chocolates is 270 calories
- 2 small sausages rolls is 254 calories
- Mindless snacking will cause you to want to snack all the more. If it’s not in the cupboard you can’t eat it.
- You don’t have to eat crap to feel like you had a good christmas. Have fun on your terms.
Knowing that you ate more than usual over the 2 or 3 days of the christmas break creates a feeling of guilt. It can go 1 of 2 ways;
1. You get a determined spurt on and try and correct the last 3 days or 2. You say “ah well, there’s stuff left and I’ve started so I will just carry on”. By the way, it takes longer to shift it than it took to put it on!
Knowing that you have ‘survived’ the temptations and popped out the other side looking and feeling good about yourself, creates continued positive self esteem, motivation and a sense of achievement. Another step forward on your journey to a better you.
Then it’s that time of year when everyone gets the new years resolution feeling. But you are already on it and steps ahead of the rest.
To keep it going or to start afresh, I invite you to join us in the clubhouse. Inside there are plenty of step by step programs to help you get through christmas and start the new year in control. Find Out More and get a free 7 day trial here.
Have a great christmas and new year